The Bachelor of Individualized Studies has five basic components:
- General Education & Institutional Requirements
- Foreign Language Requirement (Bachelor of Arts only)
- Core Individualized Studies Requirements
- Individualized Concentration Courses
- Elective Courses
1. General Education & Institutional Requirements
Successful completion of DSU General Education courses, transfer credits that articulate to DSU General Education courses, and/or courses designated as fulfilling the same General Education requirement at another Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) institution.
A previously earned Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. (Refer to Policy 5-47, Academic Transfer)
Students with a previously earned degree from an institution outside USHE who matriculate after July 1, 2010, must meet DSU and Utah Board of Regents minimum standards in American Institutions, English (composition), and Mathematics / Quantitative Literacy.
A Registrar’s Certificate of General Education Completion from a USHE institution.
Use the General Education Checklist to view GE requirements and course options.
2. Foreign Language Requirement (Bachelor of Arts only)
Complete one of the following:
- 16 credits in a single foreign language (by coursework or vertical credit)
- Foreign language 2020 or 3060 class (C or higher)
- Foreign language 1020 class (C or higher) and 12 credits FLATS/FL-GE in another language
- Nonnative speakers may use ESL test or specific course(s)
3. Core Individualized Studies Requirements
Learn more about the core requirements here.
- INDS 3800 Individualized Studies Seminar 3
- INDS 3805 Individualized Studies Lab 1
- INDS 4700
4. Individualized Concentration Courses
21 credits must be upper-division.
5. Elective Courses
College-Level Course(s) (numbered > 999). 36-40 credits are required.